Youth Stand United: Employment and Education Program (YSU) is a nurturing learning environment for young people (16 to 21) who have experienced a trauma that has resulted in emotional challenges and/or dropping out of high school.
Youth Stand United (Brownsville) is the pathway for young people to get on track with obtaining their education and pursuing meaningful employment. We offer an opportunity to gain a high school equivalency degree by passing the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), career guidance and job training. In addition to academics, YSU provides case management and counseling services to address emotional and mental health needs.
Most YSU students have dropped out of high school and all come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. Since 2000, we’ve worked with students who are homeless, come out of foster care, are parents themselves, have been through the criminal justice system, or have been victims of violence.
Despite these hardships, our students are resilient and demonstrate a commitment to achieving their education and employment goals. Our students also give back to their communities through events and service projects.
How Youth Stand United is Unique
Youth Stand United is the only program of its kind in Brooklyn and only one of five in New York City.
Youth Stand United provides:
- Career guidance
- Nurturing learning environment
- Commitment to emotional health and well-being
- Nutrition & Wellness education
- Collaborative community
- Experienced faculty who are invested in student success
- Volunteer opportunities through its Leadership Association
- Creative expression opportunities in art and music
Benefits to Career
Youth Stand United Offers:
- Career guidance and employment training
- Preparation for Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- Remedial academic studies
- Assistance with part-time employment and internships
- Life skills training and counseling
- Safe and nurturing environment
- A speaker’s series where guests in various fields give career advice and support
- Professional training through community-based employment partners
Youth Stand United Professional Training Includes:
- Light bookkeeping
- Early childhood education
- Summer youth employment
Youth Stand United: Employment and Education Program
Seth Low Cornerstone Community Center
137 Belmont Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11212